Monday, January 14, 2008

Prayer in Time of Economic Hardship

Heavenly Father,
it is symptomatic of our life today
that economics plays a large part in it.
People labor zealously for a wage
so that they can acquire the needs of life
for themselves and their families.
They also work for the so-called luxuries of life,
for the opportunity to have more leisure
to develop themselves in more ways,
and to keep up with their particular state of life.

Right now I find myself in a bad economic condition.
I just cannot seem to make enough money to take care of myself and my family.
Please help me in this dangerous situation.
Teach me to live within my means
while at the same time striving to increase those means.
Let me never lose heart but continue to work on.
Most of all, inspire me to seek first your kingdom
in the knowledge that everything else will be given me together with it.

From New Saint Joseph People's Prayer Book, Catholic Book Publishing.

No comments: